This is my Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1. If I remember correctly I built this model back in 1984. It was constructed straight out of the box and brush painted using Humbrol Panzer Gray as the overall color.
I applied some ‘battle damage’ by holding the fender and exhaust cover pieces over a candle flame (not too close!) until the plastic started to soften and then ‘dented’ the respective piece with the blunt end of a pencil. Some of the fender pieces were also removed with a hobby knife for additional effect. To simulate rust build-up on the exhausts, I first painted the parts with Testors Rust and, while the paint was still wet I rolled each part in baking soda so that some of it stuck to the wet paint. After the paint had dried, I applied a second coat of rust over everything and, after that dried, I drybrushed the parts with the same Rust color mixed with Flat White.
A few years ago I decided to ‘weather’ the model slightly by applying a black pastel ‘sludge’ wash overall followed by drybrushing the raised areas, rivets, edges, etc. using Testors Steel.
Photos and text © by Rick Reinbott